Ad

07 July 2014

blowing out the candles

26!
I have officially passed a quarter of a century in age. Although age is simply a number, I now have one less year to get married before I hit 30. Boohoo :(

Each year, I receive well wishes from people who are close to me, family and then, the surprise folks.
Surprise folks - the ones whom I don't know really well, the ones I had overlooked as the years passed, the ones I thought had exited my life.
At the same time, I'm reminded of how shallow, forgetful and bo xim I am. All it takes is a quick message to show someone I remembered. Each year, I tell myself such things are reciprocal. Give, and you shall receive. Received, remember to give. Yet, I can still forget. This year, I resolve to reciprocate. Olive branches accepted. Bridges mended. Dislikes dissolved.

Time passes but some things never change. Some people stay and remain constant. You don't remember when it is you felt such a connection but they are just there for you. Never mind that we've not met up in years. Never mind that we do not even message. Never mind that you make my heart swell a little each time (with false hope).
A constant who has remained with me for the past 4-5 years. We were never truly friends, sad to say. We drift apart and then reconnect through pure randomness (or, is it?).

Disappointment drives one to seek refuge in the arms of familiarity.
While new variables make life interesting, they are pretty hard to read. They have their own thoughts which aren't in line with mine. Compromise - both parties take a step back and adjust their expectations to reach a middle ground. Making someone give up their viewpoint and agree with you, is not compromise. How much is too much? How much can you give up for "compromise"?
Thus, seeking out the constant. Constant is good. Constant gives when you least expect it.

On a side note, I will never look at a sugarcane the same way again. It would just remind me of spineless men who allow themselves to be milked dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment